Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Looking Ahead to Spring 2013 - Teaching & Research

The spring semester is almost here! I hope you all have had a wonderful winter break. While you're preparing your spring courses,  please let me know if there is anything I can do to support you and your students. I can do one or more of the following:
  • Design a web-based research guide customized for your course
  • Consult with you on a research assignment
  • Meet with students as a group (across English/FTS courses) outside of class, for workshops on using specific resources such as MLA BibliographyJSTOR, etc.
  • Meet with students individually for research assistance with a paper or project. Please encourage them to contact me directly
  • Design a web-based research guide for your course, visit your class briefly to introduce myself, and meet with students individually as necessary
  • Meet with your students as a group during class time (I need at least two weeks lead time for scheduling and class preparation)

I encourage you to include my name and contact information on your syllabi as the librarian for English and FTS, who looks forward to helping students with their research. 

And don't forget..... if your course schedule simply can't fit in a full-length instruction session, I'm always happy to pop into your class for 10 or 15 minutes to introduce myself and let them know the kinds of research assistance I can provide. Often students feel more comfortable seeking me out once they match a face to a name. 

Finally... if your teaching or research requires library materials not owned by the library, please let me know what you need.